The Metrowind Van Stadens Wind Farm is a world-class 27MW wind energy facility. The wind farm is one of the successful projects during Bid Window 1 of the Department of Energy’s (DoE) Renewable Energy from Independent Power Producers Procurement Program (REI4P). It was the first REI4P project to start commercial operations.
- First wind farm commissioned as part of the Department of Energy’s REI4P
- With only 9 turbines it is one of the smallest of all the wind farms
- Achieved early operation on 28 November 2013
- Commercial Operation Date (COD) on 7 February 2014
- Anticipated annual electricity generation = approximately 80 GWh
- Electricity generated can power the equivalent of approximately 12,300 households per month
The ongoing success of the wind farm is, however, not measured by the amount of electricity generated, but by its contribution to economic development and the lives touched and transformed through the community development initiatives that it supports.